Blogging - why you cannot afford to ignore it
Blogging is one of the most important aspects of any inbound marketing strategy as well as being an attractive compliment to your website. But it takes time and not all of our clients can see the ROI case for blogging.
A few reasons why your company needs a blogging strategy
- Show that you are alive - Fresh content on your website reinforces that your company has a pulse which extends beyond day to day activities.
- SEO - Blogs create more pages of content, which is great for SEO. Blog entries never disappear, they just drop down the list, so unlike your website pages which change and drop content periodically, blog posts will continue to provide SEO benefit years after they are published.
- Social marketing - Blog posts can play a central role in your social network activity.
- Demonstrate authority - Your blog demonstrates that you are an industry authority and thought leader.
- Attract inbound links - Engaging writing attracts links back to your website.
- Speak to your customers - It’s a great channel to engage on conversation with your audience.
- Its easy - Blogging isn’t technically difficult and needn't be expensive. There are plenty of blogging tools you can use to get started.
- It doesn't have to take up too much time - If the time and effort required to create content regularly is your main barrier, there are some inexpensive blogging services out there such as Zerys and WriterAccess. Farming out your blogging activity leaves you free to focus on running your business.
The SEO factor is perhaps the single most compelling reason to blog. Although it is nothing new, it is a proven way to generate content which attracts search. Virtually every SEO practitioner who I have spoken with continues to put the blog at the heart of SEO strategies for small and medium sized businesses.
Still not convinced? A few numbers...
- Companies nearly double their sales leads by increasing blogging frequency from 3-5 times per month to 6-8 times per month. (source: HubSpot)
- Small businesses with blogs generate 126 percent more leads than those without a blog. (source: Ignite Spot)
- 81 percent of US consumers trust advice and information from blogs. (source: Ignite Spot)
- 61 percent of US consumers made a purchase based on a blog post. (source: Ignite Spot)
- Websites with blogs have 434 percent more indexed pages and 97 percent more indexed links. That means it’s easier for search engines – and potential customers – to find you. (source: Ignite Spot)
If you are not blogging and would like some advice on how to get started. Please get in touch.