Launching Shop Star, retail management for a media giant
When it comes to the entertainment industry, few companies rival NBCUniversal Media, the parent company of NBC and Universal Pictures among others. So we are extremely proud to see our new Shop Star app listed alongside the other NBCUniversal mobile apps on the Apple and Google Play stores.
What is Shop Star for?
UCA is an alliance between Universal Pictures UK Ltd. and Sony Pictures UK Ltd. They are responsible for distributing entertainment media (mainly DVDs and music CDs) to a network of over 7,000 retailers across the country. They came to us needing a free mobile app that would make it easy for store owners and field sales personnel to manage their displays, access up-to-date release info, contact the UCA team and perform other retail-related tasks.
We love a challenge and one of the tricky tasks in this project was adding in all of the necessary features while making sure the app was simple to use and understand.
Packing a punch
SAs well as being easy to use, Shop Star performs a wide range of functions and is tightly integrated with various UCA databases to ensure all info is up to date.
Through the app, retailers are able to:
- Run through a handy checklist to help them get the most out of the DVD and CD category.
- Check items are being displayed during a promotional period (and are not being sold too soon).
- Find out their Return Authorization number and manage stock returns.
- See which cardboard fixtures should be on display.
- Get visual tips on displaying stock and even win a prize for the best display of the month!
- Access bang up-to-date info including the latest DVD releases.
- Solve common queries via a help section and FAQs.
- Contact the UCA team using the in-app messaging function.
When building mobile apps it is important to consider the needs of the end user at every stage. Universal may be in the business of entertaining people but busy retail workers are not looking for movie-grade experiences. They need a powerful tool they can access quickly and find their way around with minimal training.
By providing exactly that, our app definitely has the potential to become a shining star in the NBC universe.
Eyes Down were brilliant to work with. They found solutions for any challenges and were committed to getting our project completed on time and within budget. I would recommend working with them on any project.
Topic: Mobile apps